If you’ve searched online for ‘the best TEFL online certifications’, you’d know how many – thousands, actually – of courses there out are. So, do you know which ones are the best?
We’ve got you covered today. We’ll briefly outline how you’d know that the online TEFL certifications on your shortlist are indeed the best and ones you should consider and list five of the best courses out there plus why you can add them to your shortlist.
If you are looking for more information on what TEFL courses should adhere to to make them the best, have a look at our Your Guide To The Best TEFL Certification Programs or Best TEFL Courses: Online vs On-Site articles.
How To Tell What Are The Best TEFL Online Certifications
There are two main factors to look out for in the best TEFL online certification courses are:
- The course needs to be legitimate and accredited.
- Legitimate means that the course is offered by a recognized language school or university. Private companies also offer legitimate TEFL courses, and you can see whether the program is reputable by looking at online reviews and the “About Us” page on their website.
- Accredited means that the course has been recognized by a reputable TEFL organization, such as the British Council, the Accreditation Council for TESOL Distance Education Courses (ACTDEC), the International Association of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL), the World TEFL Accrediting Commission (WTEFLAC), the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (OFQUAL), and several others. Here is a guide to TEFL accrediting bodies if you are looking for information.
- The course needs to be at least 100 hours, which is the international standard. There are many options out there, with 40- or 60-hour “beginner” and short introduction TEFL programs, but go for one that offers 100+ hours of training.
What Are The Best TEFL Online Certifications?
Here you’d find a list you can happily add to your TEFL certification shortlist if you have not yet decided on a program.
- Accredited by the International TEFL Organization and affiliated and guaranteed by the University of Cambridge and IATEFL for the ESOL TKT Course
- Three course
options: Basic, Pro, and Premium
- The Premium option includes a 120-hour TEFL/TESOL certificate, a teach young leaners module, the Cambridge TKT online course, online tutor support and advice, and access to a global daily feed with over 6,000 jobs.
- $1 trial for 7 days for all three options; the Premium course is less than $299 (at the time of writing)
- Accredited by ODLQC and regulated by OFQUAL
- Two main course options: Level 3 TEFL online
courses and Level 5 TEFL online courses
- Level 5 TEFL courses includes three options: a 180-hour course, a 240-hour course, and a 300-hour TEFL diploma. These are for serious TEFL teachers, while the Level 3 courses are for those who want to learn how to teach EFL while taking a gap year or teaching to travel temporarily.
- Prices range from $274 to $479
- Accredited by the International TEFL Organization
- Three course
options: Training, Advanced, and Master
- The Training program is for new teachers and includes an accredited 120-hour TEFL/TESOL online training course, access to the Cambridge TKT online course and exam, and online job placement assistance.
- $1 trial for 7 days for the Training course; usual price is less than $299 (at the time of writing)
- Accredited by OTTSA
- Four course options: Basic (40 hours), Standard
(60 hours), Advanced (80 hours), and Professional (120 hours)
- The Professional course includes tutor and tech support, full library access, skills-based units, intensive grammar units, comprehensive phonology, and curriculum development
- The Professional course is $399 (discounted to $299 at the time of writing)
- Accredited by the Ministry of Education in Mexico and members of The College of Teachers, ACTFL, IATEFL, AMCHA, and IALLT
- Three course options: Basic (100 hours),
Standard (120 hours), and Advanced (140 hours)
- The Advanced course includes an accredited online TEFL certification with eight units/modules, exclusive ebooks, a job offer program, interactive videos, and personal tutor support and feedback
- Price for the Advanced course is $325 (at the time of writing), while the other two courses averages $265
We’ve only mentioned five of the best TEFL online certification programs, but no matter which ones makes your list, they need to offered from reputable (legitimate) organizations and accredited by an accepted international TEFL body. They also need to offer at least 100 course hours; otherwise, it may not be worth your time or money.
Have any questions about the best online TEFL certifications and teaching English? Please let us know in the comments section below.