There are so many TEFL certification online programs being offered by so many providers that it can’t be easy knowing which one to choose, which one is right for you, and which one is worthwhile. In light of this, we’ve put together this guide for you on three important things you need to know about online TEFL courses and recommended five of the best courses you can choose.
Free Or Paid TEFL Certification Online Courses
Nothing is truly ever free in life, and any free TEFL certification online courses should ideally be steered cleared of. And truly free courses will most likely not be accredited and may not meet the international TEFL standards.
However, what you may find is that companies offer a “free” TEFL course, but this is actually sponsored. For example, English First will sponsor your online TEFL course if you apply for a teaching position with them and pass your interview. So, in essence, if you get a job and work for the company, you can do your TEFL online course for “free”.
The only way that I might recommend doing a free course in TEFL is when you don’t plan on using it as your actual TEFL certification but rather as test to see if teaching EFL is for you and to get more background information on teaching English.
Can You Fail Your TEFL Course?
While it is possible to fail a TEFL course (whether an online, combo, and in-person one), it isn’t likely. In fact, more students drop out than those who fail. If you have an undergrad degree and speak English at native level, you can most definitely handle the course load.
How Quickly Can You Get Online TEFL Certified?
Once you are ready, have signed up for a TELF certification online course, and been accepted, you can start immediately. If you take the course part-time, you can finish it in about 11 weeks. If you do the course full-time, you can finish it in three to four weeks.
A Word Of Caution
No matter the TEFL course you choose, whether it is online or in-person (on on-site), take note of whether they offer any observed teaching practice. Most TEFL employers would be interested if you’ve had any teaching practice – teaching real life students in a real classroom setting – as this is an invaluable part of your TEFL training. While you can know all the TEFL theory in the world – teaching techniques and methodologies – it is the practical application of these that makes you are good or great teacher.
So, try to choose TEFL certificate courses that includes this; it can take the form of an add-on or be included in the course and would take place in person, like over a weekend that is reserved for your observed teaching practicum.
5 Of The Best TEFL Certification Online Courses
Here is a list of the 5 best TEFL certification online course currently on offer:
- iTEFL Course – An internationally recognized TEFL course that is offered online and includes a LifeTime Job Club membership, which guarantees course completers with a job placement. There are three-course options available, ranging from the Basic, which includes a 120-hour TEFL/TESOL certificate, and online tutor support and advice to the Pro, which includes everything of the Basic option plus a module on teach young learners and the Cambridge TKT online course.
- International TEFL Academy – An accredited 170-hour course that typically takes 11 weeks on a part-time basis with university-level instruction and interactive features in the form of lectures, webinars, and chat.
- eEnglish Programs – Also an internationally recognized TEFL online course with the Training option, which is crafted for new teachers and includes a 120-hour TEFL/TESOL certificate, the Cambridge TKT online course and exam, and access to the LifeTime Job Club.
- International Teacher Training Organization – An externally accredited TEFL online courses with three options: Basic (100 hours of training that includes interactive videos, exclusive ebooks, and personal tutor support and feedback), Standard (120 hours of training, including everything from the Basic course), and Advanced (140 hours of training, everything from the Basic option, and a jog offer program).
- Bridge TEFL – Accredited by the ACCET, this is a 120-hour master TEFL certification online program that offers tutor support, interactive content, TEFL videos, and access to a library full of training resources.
Have any questions about teaching English or TEFL certification online programs? Check out this article for a comparison between online and on-site TEFL courses.